This short canal is a remnant of and old drainage ditch that previously ran more to the West. Now it runs from the Singel to the Herengracht, near the Spui. With a length of only 50 m (164 ft), the Beulingsloot (Beuling Ditch) is one of the shortest canals in Amsterdam, dug around 1600. It was probably named after Gerrit Jansz Beulinck, who lived near here around 1660 and had a sign with a beuling (a type of sausage) hanging from a building.
It is an atypical canal for Amsterdam, without quays. Around 1600 it was named the Herendwarsburgwal (Gentlemen’s Transverse Rampart) — at that time the Herengracht (Gentlemen’s Canal) was the most western canal in Amsterdam.
No zip code
The canal itself does not have any adresses: all buildings, directly on the water, are the backside of the houses on either the parallel Beulingstraat on the southern side, or the Dubbeleworststeeg (Double Sausage Alley) on the northern side.
The Beulingstraat (Beuling Street) — running parallel to the Beulingsloot — was constructed during the city expansion of 1585, when the ramparts on the western side of the town were renewed. The street can be seen on a map by Balthasar Florisz van Berckenrode from 1625. The Beulingsloot (Beuling Ditch) was then still called Heere Dwars Burchwal, so it looks like the canal was named after the street later on. All buildings except two on the Beulingstraat are either a municipal or a national monument.
Only numbers 9 and 23 have not been registered as monuments. Beulingstraat 4 is a national monument, a warehouse dating from around 1700, the building runs all the way to the Beulingsloot. Number 6A-L is a warehouse from the 17th or 18th century, with the backside on the Beulingsloot.
Beulingstraat 8-10 is a municipal monument, dating from 1875 and restructured in 1898 together with numbers 12 and 14. These buildings were later united with Herengracht 401, housing a cultural group for boys called Castrum Peregrini from 1957, centered around German poet Wolfgang Frommel. In 2019 the foundation changed its name to H401, after investigation had shown that there had been sexual abuse in that Castrum Peregrini group.
Beulingstraat 1-3 is a national monument which dates from the end of the 17th century. At number 1 you can see a 17th century gable stone showing a golden kettle, placed there in 1987 from another demolished building. Beulingstraat 27, at the corner of the Herengracht is also a national monument, the ground floor has the entrance on the Herengracht 403A. Beulingstraat 11 housed the Catholic foundation “Liefdewerk de Katechismus” since 1907. In 1985 the Jesuits took over the building, now it’s known as the Ignatiushuis (House Ignatius).
The Dubbeleworststeeg (Double Sausage Alley) is an unassuming alley between Singel and Herengracht with a quaint name, renovated in 2007 and named after Lourens Dubbelworst who lived here in the 17th century. In 1660 it was called the Steenkoperssteeg (Stone Buyers Alley). The south side of the alley is all municipal or national monuments. The street name sign is attached up high to avoid being stolen.
The alley has odd numbering from 1 to 25, the façades covering the entire north side of the alley. On the southern (even) side the only two numbers are 2A and 2B, with the other side on the Beulingsloot. Dubbeleworststeeg 2A-B is a national monument, a warehouse from around 1700. At the other end is the side façade of Herengracht 391-393.
There was also another Dubbeleworststeeg in Amsterdam, which was renamed in 1912 to Damraksteeg. It seems Lourens Dubbelworst also lived there at number 22 in the middle of the 17th century. Lourens died in 1672 in the house on the corner of the Dubbeleworststeeg and the Herengracht.
There seems to have been an inn for Frisian skippers and merchants in the alley which had a sign saying “Graaf van Vrieslant” (Count of Friesland), as well as an inn with many customers from Groningen. Until 1791 there was a docking spot for merchant boats called Groninger Steiger across from the alley.
If you see this after your page is loaded completely, leafletJS files are missing.